Friday, April 1, 2011

Where Have I Been?

We've been missing in action this week.  I wish I had something exciting to report such as a tropical getaway, but the truth isn't nearly that exciting.
Norma Jean and I went to class on Tuesday. It wasn't a total disaster, but close. We had goofed off the week before and not practiced our homework every day. I was finalizing our taxes and the weather was lousy, so I let classwork slip. This week in class, it showed.

Norma Jean was very distracted by the other dogs. There's one barker in the class that was getting on everyone's nerves. The instructor finally sprayed it with water to shut it up, but that didn't last long. Norma Jean just wanted to leave. She kept looking at the door and every time we started moving, she headed for the door.
 She is doing 'sit' and 'down' and starting to get 'stay', but I don't think she really understands what I'm asking of her. She's just following my hands. The words don't seem to register. Maybe it'll come. Who knows?
On the home front, I've finished a couple of knitted items that I can show off. The first is a baby blanket for a friend who is having a little boy soon. This is a pretty little pattern made with a yarn that is basically white wrapped with a strand of blue. I hope Mama and Baby both like it.
 Next is this little sweater and hat. A blogging friend had knit this and shown it on her blog. I admired it, so she very kindly sent me the pattern and the yarn. It's a fast knit and a lot of fun to make. I made up the little hat to match.

This was so much fun to make that I'm doing another in yellow with a multi-colored trim. Then both sweaters will be donated to charity. There are a couple other projects still in the works, so I'll wait to show them. Meanwhile Norma Jean and I will keep practicing and maybe she'll figure out what we're trying to do.

17 comments:

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Hello Sue!! I had to chuckle at Norma Jean--I've been there too and know the same thoughts you're having in wondering if anything is getting into the pups head--It will and I know you know that as well--Just keep at it! :-)

I had no idea that you had such a talent to knit--When do you have time? :-))

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

You've been very busy. We're sure Norma J will settle down and do well.

XXXOOO Daisy, Kendra & Bella

SissySees said...

Beautiful knits!

I'm sure Norma Jean will get the hang of it. Maybe she's just not much of a verbal learner?

Asta said...

I don't think NowmaJean is a dunce. It's not faiw to judge hew if she hasn't had a chance to pwactice.

I'm suwe she'll do just fine in the footoowe
those bootiful delicate knitted things will make some hoomans vewy happy
smoochie kisses
ASTA

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Hang in there, Norma Jean is just taking her time getting comfortable in her surroundings:)

Beautiful blanket and sweater set. As Mom has said so many time, how she wishes she could knit and not just crochet. Very nice.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

Jan said...

I don't blame Norma Jean. I get distracted by nuisance barking dogs and can't concentrate.

Your knitting is beautiful...multi-talented one.

Stella said...

Or Maybe Norma Jean will tell you to take this school and shove it. Thats a possibility! BOL/LOL!

The blanket and baby sweater are just beautiful. Do you use fingering weight for this?

We are not doing much either, thinking of you, though!

Jo and Stella

Lola and also Franklin, too said...

It's sounds like you've been pretty busy. Productive, too. We love the knits. You are so creative and talented. My Moms - not so much.

Nicki said...

What a darling outfit!

private label water bottles said...

Nice blog ! I like the designs........ which you have posted in last image.

♥ Mary Janes TEAROOM said...

Oh...well done Norma Jean....she is so lovely and will soon get the hang of it all!
Beautiful work Sue.
Have a lovely weekend,
Susan x

Molly the Airedale said...

We love the beautiful blankie and the cute sweater! Our mom loves to knit too!
We know you're going to surprise everyone and ace this class, Norma Jean!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

Soggibottom said...

I think hands and voice are the key to dog training Sue. Especially now that Amie is totally deaf.... She watches more with her one good eye than I will every know ! :-)
Hand signs help, I would get a terribly sore throat if I kept telling her to do something via voice. :-)Trouble is when your in a crowd it's easy to look around and see what every one else is doing. I'm sure it will come in time :-)
Adorable knits. Thank you for showing them Sue. :-) :-) :-)

Mad about Craft said...

The baby blanket is lovely!

tiptoethruphylsgarden.blogspot.com said...

That is a beautiful hat & sweater outfit!
Your dogs make me smile,love your header,phyllis

Yoda_the_Dog said...

That pink sweater and hat are adorable.

gMarie said...

How do I always miss the posts? Practice, practice, practice. Hopefully NormaJean will pick it up quickly.

I've been doing all that boring stuff lately too - taxes, housework, laundry, groceries - ick! It's all done now and today is mine!

Love that little hat and jacket - adorable. Some little girl will be very lucky to have that beautiful set. g