Friday, December 22, 2017

Umm Umm Good # Chewy Influencer

I'm always looking for something to help my boys with their intestinal problems. So far I've been fortunate with Fudge and Sebastian. They're both eating well and the output is good. Noah is another story. Just when I think I've found the magic potion that will help him eat, have normal stools and put on weight, we find ourselves back at the starting line.
I've resorted to making his dog food and making kefir. They both help him, but I learned about another item that also seems to help.

I first read about bone broth on the Wild Dingo Blog a few years ago. After reading her post, I tried making it for my dogs. It was easy to make and they all loved it. But in our modern life, we don't have a lot of bones. I buy boneless chicken and beef and even boneless pork chops. The one item that has bones is turkey and we usually cook two or three turkeys a year.

Just before Thanksgiving I read an article on the Dog Cancer Blog and it reminded me that I should make some more bone broth. When Rob cleaned the turkey, he put the bones in the crockpot and I followed the directions in the article. The broth came out great and after feeding it to the dogs for a couple days, I froze a few containers.

My dogs like bone broth and it is supposed to be good for them but I don't always have bones to use in making it. Now the problem is solved. Our selection from Chewy this month is  The Honest Kitchen Turkey Bone broth with Ginger.  
 This couldn't be easier to use. Just add the powder to hot, not boiling water and stir. Then serve to your dog either as a nourishing warm drink or over their kibble, as I do.
My dogs thought this was absolutely great tasting. We've liked everything we've tried from the Honest Kitchen and this is no exception. It's made with turkey broth, ginger, kale and lentils. It saves hours of cooking and straining and I don't need to take up freezer space.
Is it helping Noah? Well, it's not harming him and he gets to have a little variety in his meal.
Chewy sent us a container of The Honest Kitchen Bone Broth at no cost to us in exchange for our honest review

4 comments:

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

We too read about bone broth with Mrs. Wild Dingo - that woman is something else, isn't she!!!

Mom says she is going to get some of that broth for us too. We have seen a few reviews about it and all were good. Now if only she had known about that for Angel Phantom - he would have loved it. Thanks for the reveiw.

Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

Molly the Airedale said...

Mom saw bone broth in the soup aisle next to the chicken and beef broth and wondered......I think you helped her make up her mind. We definitely have to get some bone broth! Thanks, guys!

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

We've heard of bone broth, but haven't tried it. It's probably in the health store--at great expense. But we do have loads of bones.

Brain not working this early morning (5:00a.m.) and I read that you'd solved the problem with Fudge....BOL! Me, thinking you were giving the dogs fudge.

Morrie Major said...

Oh this bone broth sounds (and looks) very tasty!!
I love reading your reviews thanks for posting! I just wish that Chewy would send to Australia!
Lots of licks, your good friend Morrie :)