Saturday, October 12, 2019

Small Victories

I'm a pessimist by nature.  I've always thought if I prepared for the worst and  it didn't happen, it would be great, but if it did, I'd be ready. It's not the most joyful way to live, but it's gotten me this far.

Now I'm trying to stay optimistic about Tess and her situation. It isn't easy. Tess is not progressing the way we had hoped. Everything I've read about her condition says she should be moving around on her own by now and getting back to normal. Tess is nowhere near normal.

When I checked in with Dr B, he asked if she'd made any progress and I had to admit there was some minor improvement each day. He reminded me that  Tess has a severe case and to take my victories where I can find them.

So here we are.  Victory one, Tess is eating great all by herself. We don't need to hold the bowl or hand feed to get her started. I set the bowl between her front legs and she cleans up every last piece of kibble.

Victory two, for the last two days she tells us when she needs to go out. We load her onto her sled, drag her out and she pees and poops outside. It's great not to have to cleanup several times a day.

Victory three, when we get her outside, she manages to get to her feet and take a few steps. One day I was even able to walk her all the way back into the garage with several rests along the way.

Now for the not so good parts. Tess refuses to try to stand up inside. If she wants to move, she crawls. I'm hoping it's because the floor seems slippery to her but even with support, she won't try.

Yesterday she took a  couple steps and fell. After that she wouldn't try again. This morning she walked with support but not by herself. It's as if the front of the dog is working but not the rear.

I'm starting to worry that the back legs won't come back but the vet says she needs more time. It's been less than two weeks and she may need as much as five or six weeks to recuperate.

Maybe I need some POTP as much as Tess does.


5 comments:

Molly the Airedale said...

We like to hear the small victories. More POTP and AireZen is heading your way, Tess♥ Huge hugs to your mom♥

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

Savour those small victories. May more come this week. You know you've got constant POTP from us.

Marjie said...

It's a hard battle, and since you are right there, the tiny incremental improvements don't seem like as much to you as they do to Dr. B. And it's so very hard to watch the Tess who you love so dearly suffering. At least she is eating, and that's a big victory. I hope sunshine comes your way, Sue, and that Tess has some larger victories for you to celebrate soon.

Ruby Rose and the Big Little Angels 3 said...

We are praying that she is just healings slowly and we are praying for her, and for her worried parents too.

Susan said...

Many prayers sent for you and Tess. Hugs to you all!