Sunday, January 25, 2009

When Good Ideas Go Bad

I knit a lot of baby items for charity. Until last year I would knit a sweater, then stop and do the finish work, ribbons, buttons and trim, then go on to another item. Last year I had a great idea. I would knit until I either got tired of knitting or my wrists began to hurt, then I would gather together all the items I had finished knitting and do the time consuming trim work. This would be a great time saver and since it seems I always finish knitting just at a point in the evening when I don't want to go to the studio and get the trims out, it would be much more efficient. I could just turn to another pattern and keep on knitting. Bad idea!!



This is the result. I wound up with an enormous stack of sweaters, bonnets, bootees and blankets that were unfinished.



These all need ribbons, buttons and trims. The blankets still need the ends woven in.



What I really need is to invite a friend over, put the trims out on the table, make a pot of tea or open a bottle of wine, or both, and gossip all afternoon as we trim these items.



What I will actually do is spend the next two or three days trimming them myself. Rob offered to help, but I'm afraid he might get too creative and then I'd just have to redo them.



I don't really mind doing this except that it gets sort of boring after two or three, so I need to stretch it out. I like the assortment of buttons I've collected for baby stuff.



These are some of the ribbons for the sweater necks, bonnet strings and bootee ties. I enjoy picking the colors to use on each set.



I have some laces and trims for some of them. I don't look forward to this task, but once it's done, I'm sure I'll be pleased with them.



I have learned my lesson and from now on I'll do the finish work when the knitting is finished. It has not saved any time or energy doing it the other way. This has been my guilty little UFO secret that I've tried not to dwell on for a year. One of my resolutions was to finish my UFOs and this is what I had in mind.

10 comments:

soulbrush said...

these are all gorgeous. i knit for a charity here in the uk called cuddles, but all i put on is ribbon bows on my little blankets. you are so clever. hugs.

Cat said...

If I lived closer, I'd come over and help you! It'd be fun (ok, I'd do it for the glass of something... kidding - it WOULD be fun)!

SissySees said...

If we weren't half a country apart, I'd tell you to put tea on around 4pm and I'd be there, and then we'd move into the wine later in the evening...

LizzieJane said...

What a wonderful stack of lovely knitted things and for a great cause to. If I lived closer what fun we would have finishing all of these off....you better stick to tea though as I don't think much would get done once you popped that cork on the wine!
x

Lapdog Creations said...

Uncork the wine and enjoy the finishing party!!

dreameyce said...

Even more reason for me to keep on spinning, and have someone else do my knitting ;) heehee

I suck at finishing projects, and looking at those... I don't think I'd get to them very quickly! LOL

Unknown said...

Hey be nice to you. Why not invite a like minded friend over, have a nice visit over a cuppa whatever and sew trims. You'll feel much better after it's done. g

Unknown said...

Sue - giving you an award today. Enjoy. Hope you are doing well. g

Dianne said...

Finishing is a hateful job, but I love the idea of a party - kind of like a sewing bee! If I lived closer, I'd be there with bells on!

Unknown said...

Hi Sue,
When do you want me to come over, I can think of nothing better to do than have a cup of tea with you and Robert and help put on all of the trim....just name a date, and I will be there, can't wait....Love,
bitsy