Monday, December 14, 2009

Umm, Umm, Good

Last week on Dogs-N-More, I posted some links to recipes for pet treats. There are some that sound really good and I intend to try several of the recipes. Now, I'll share a couple recipes that I've made over and over for my pack. Of all the biscuit recipes I've tried, these are their favorites.



I usually use the dog bone and fire hydrant cutters. The large bone can be cut into several pieces for sharing. I recently bought the paw print cutter and the Portuguese Water Dog cutters.



My dogs all love treats, even Tsar, the picky one, so I like the idea of knowing exactly what goes into the treats I'm giving them. This way I control what they eat.





Our Very Favorite Biscuits

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup powdered dry milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
6 tablespoons margarine, shortening or meat drippings
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 cup ice water

Preheat oven to 350.
Combine flour, dry milk, salt and sugar.
Cut in margarine until mixture resembles cornmeal.
Mix in egg.
Add enough water so mixture forms a ball.
Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thick and cut out shapes with cookie cutter or make strips.
Bake on lightly oiled cookie sheet for 25 - 30 minutes.
Cool on rack.



I make a few changes to the recipe. I use only a pinch of salt. I add 2 tablespoons of wheat germ and I add 2 -3 tablespoons of dried soup greens.



So far, I've had no complaints.



Our Second Favorite Recipe

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 multigrain oatmeal or quick cooking oats, uncooked
1/4 cup honey crunch wheat germ
1/4 cup chunky peanut butter
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon baking powder

With mixer at low speed, mix 1 cup flour with remaining ingredients and 1/2 cup water until well blended.
With spoon, stir in remaining 1/2 cup flour.
Preheat oven to 350
On well floured surface knead dough until it holds together.
Roll dough 1/4 inch think
Cut out cookies.
Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 20 minutes.
Turn oven off. Let cookies remain in oven for 1 hour.
Cool on rack.
Store in airtight container or freeze.



Now if you want to hand mix and knead, that's great, but I make them in my food processor. I throw everything in, hit the button till it all holds together, then get on with cutting them out. My cooking patience doesn't last long, so I need to get it over with as soon as possible.



The dogs don't seem to know the difference between hand mixed and hit the button on the machine mixed.





We hope you'll try one of these recipes or one of the many listed on Dogs-N-More. Your pets already think you're the best person in the world, but I guarantee they'll think you're also the smartest if you can make treats.



We also wrap some of the biscuits in plastic wrap, tie a ribbon around them and give them as gifts to our friends dogs. It makes us very popular.

8 comments:

SissySees said...

I'm going to have to try using the food processor. My back doesn't last long, and I'm sure that saves time!

bbes tribe said...

WOW! Those treats sound great. Mom makes our treats sometimes. They are yummy too but we want to try yours. They are taste tested by some great pups. Thanks for sharing. It would be fun to eat some of the treats that are made with those neat cutters.
Licks
Ernie & Sasha

Stella said...

It looks like these are A-1 with your Pack and I am sure I would like them too.

My Mom says rollin' cookies are not her favorite to make. She likes drop cookies and I like them to be dropped too. But she says she will try these!

Thanks for the recipes.
Kisses,
Stella

Marjie said...

The way I write, you probably think I just love to hang around the kitchen for hours, doing everything painstakingly. NOPE! I put on G's pretty apron for effect, use the appliances in minimum time possible, and have a cup of tea while still wearing my Suzy Homemaker getup. But Thor thanks you for the puppy cookie ideas. His sisters will be home this weekend, and they will need something to do!

soulbrush said...

wow, snuffles wants to come and spend xmas with you and the gang. i never make anything like this for her, she eats no 'people' food at all, makes her sick. too rich....aaaw they are so very happy, can see the self satisfied looks on all their faces.

Sam said...

Looks like everyone's enjoying themselves. I see Morgan's still wearing her collar. Is she feeling better? And how is Samba?

Janet said...

Sydney says "Thank You Very Much" for the recipes. I'll definitely give these a try.

Molly the Airedale said...

OMG, we are drooling! You guys are so lucky that your mom bakes for you! We haven't had homemade cookies in a long time!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch