Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Follow up

I left a few things hanging so I thought I'd let you know where things stand.

October, also known as Breast Cancer Awareness Month is almost half over. The fur girls and I want to remind you to pick up that phone and make an appointment for your mammogram. If yours is already done, call a friend or loved one and remind them. It could be the most important gift you ever give them.


My best friend Sue and I lived next door to each other for ten years. About six months after we moved here, she found a lump during her monthly self exam. It turned out to be a very aggressive form of cancer.

 Sue and I talked on the phone daily during her treatment and sometimes several times a day. Rob called her husband and gave him someone to talk with and confide in. We sometimes forget that cancer affects the whole family.


During Sue's treatment which consisted of surgery, chemotherapy and radiation, Sue, her husband and young daughter, Rob and I all wore these little pink ribbon pins every day. When treatment was almost over I bought these sparkly pink and silver pins for her and myself. They're our party pins for special occasions.


 A few years ago Rob was on a business trip to Arizona. When he returned he handed me these three pink velvet jewelry bags. Inside were a necklace, bracelet and earrings made of pink stones, with ribbon charms and other charms  saying things like "live life to the fullest" and "enjoy every moment".



 Next on the agenda... this is Vet Tech Week. These are some of our techs with their pets.



 Early Monday morning we drove to All Creatures, out vet hospital and made this delivery.


 It was well received and I hope everyone had a cupcake with their lunch.


 Finally, we have twelve people who want to participate in the Winter Solstice gift exchange. I'm glad we have an even number. If you haven't already sent me your email, please do it now so we can get this going. I need your mailing address, blog address if you have one, favorite color and how many and what type of pets you have.

Most people want to have a secret exchange so you'll be surprised when your gift arrives. Also, I suggested $20 as a limit. Those of us who craft can't always put a dollar figure on an item we make. I only wanted to be sure we stayed within some bounds. Plan you gift keeping in mind that we want to stay under $20.

Get your info to me ASAP so we can get those gifts ready to fly.

7 comments:

SissySees said...

What a lovely post! I'm glad your friend is a survivor. I'm sure all the support helped make the difference.

We still need to honor our vet techs. Maybe tomorrow afternoon or Thursday? (Thanks for reminding me!)

♥I am Holly♥ said...

What a great post!! Mom has a friend that is a survivor. She worked with mom a long ago and was only in her 30's when the lump was found. Thank goodness she is fine now!!! Lots of love, Holly and mom

Stella said...

Please put me down for next year on the gift exchange. This fall is just booked totally for Christmas gifts to make.

Have fun, I know you will!

Cheers,

Jo and Stella

Molly the Airedale said...

Those cupcakes sure do look yummy!
And I, Miss Maggie, love the pretty jewelry!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

We bet you'll be getting terrific Vet Tech assistance for a long time to come!

XXXOOO Daisy, Kendra & Bella

Marjie said...

I'm a dope. I forgot to put Thor's name and my blog address in my email to you. I hope you know well enough who Thor is, anyway!

Nice reminder post.

gMarie said...

Fabulous post! I need to run by the vet on Saturday to pick up meds, again. Should take them a little something.

Congrats to your friend. Being a survivor is fabulous. g