Friday, August 19, 2011

I Saw A Pink Elephant

Yes, there's a new pink elephant living at our house and no I haven't been drinking.
Have you all seen this book? Knitted Wild Animals by Sarah Keen is one of the sweetest knitting books I've seen in a long time. I'd want it in my library even if I wasn't a knitter or never planned to knit any of the animals. Why? Because of the wonderful photography. Who can resist lots of pictures of plump happy animals?
There are pictures on almost every page and you get to see the 15 animals from every possible angle. That makes finishing easier as you can actually see each seam and placement of ears, tails, etc.

The knitting instructions may not be suitable for beginning knitters. Those familiar with shaping and finishing will find them easy knits, but they don't read line by line as some new knitters might expect. Most of the animals have the same basic body with differences to the heads.
The elephant, which is my first, but not last, from this book was an easy knit but there is a lot of sewing together of pieces. It took only two days to complete.

16 comments:

Marjie said...

The pink elephant is cute! And, now, think of all the splendid gifts you can give to nieces, nephews and children of friends!

Two French Bulldogs said...

Love the tale of the pink elephant
Benny & Lily

Stella said...

This is very cute, Sue, and your needlework skills are long renowned on this blog list!

Kisses,
Stella (and Jo)

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

He's so cute, but could he ever replace Monkey?

We rather like that Tiger, as well.

XXXOOO Daisy, Kendra & Bella

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Your pink elephant is really nice. So can we expect to see a zoo at your place soon?

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

brooke said...

I cant even knit a scarf! hahaha
I tried to crochet animals (amigurumi) but even that was tough!

Molly the Airedale said...

What a cute elephant! We love the color!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I don't knit at all, and just love the elephant and the color is perfect!!

Maggie Mae and Max said...

OoH how cute dat elephant is! :)

Woofs and Licks,
Maggie Mae

The Daily Pip said...

She is the cutest elephant I have ever seen!! Unfortunately, my mom is hopeless when it comes to knitting ...a complete disaster!

Your pal, Pip

SissySees said...

What a cutie! And I'm off to look at that book... or at least see what Ravelry will show me.

Kippy Marrie said...

Olá SUE...

Tudo bem?
Sou a Kippy, uma York e moro no Brasil. Quer ser minha amiga?
Entra no meu blog e vamos ser amiguinhas. Estou te seguindo, ok?
Boa noite e te espero.
Aus 1000 com amor da amiga do Brasil...

KIPPY

Amy / Layla the Malamute said...

The animals are adorable!!

I don't knit, but would love to learn. My grandmother is amazing at knitting, crocheting, sewing, etc. She's a teacher and many girls have her hand-make their prom dresses. She taught me to crochet when I was like, 7, but I only got to the point of a long straight line. I never could get the hang of switching over and making another row. Unfortunately my grandmother doesn't speak to the family any more. I really wish I'd have learned all her crafty things because I do enjoy it. I like making latch hook rugs a lot.

If I ever find a way to get knitting lessons, I'll absolutely get the book! I love chubby stuffed animals, and that elephant was very cute.

soulbrush said...

oooh this is adorable, would love the pattern from you- think you have my email. I have just made a penguin- shall we swap patterns?

Lapdog Creations said...

That is the most adorable pink elephant ever!

gMarie said...

That is an adorable elephant. I love him. g