Saturday, February 28, 2015

Flappers

I love language. I think a lot about words and have some word games that fascinate me. Just think about it, each and every one of us can speak at least one language. I am writing words now that will be read by people I'll never meet in places I'll never see. How cool is that?
Some of us are fortunate enough to know several languages. I would love to speak French and maybe I'll take the time to learn. I know a little Spanish, a little Russian and I studied Latin for several years, though no one I know speaks it. Still I find it useful more than you'd expect. I also understand a fair amount of Dog and Cat and some Budgie. I don't speak those last three, but I can usually understand them when friends speak to me.

English is an intresting language. I like the idea that there are words that sound the same but are spelled differently and have different meanings. Examples are: to, too and two. Or how about rain,

rein  

and reign.

Or the one that gives so many of us trouble: there, their and they're.

Then there are the words that have two very different meanings for the very same word.
Rock


and rock.
Which bring me back to the title of this post... flapper.
My Grandmother was married in 1925 and wore a red Flapper dress at her wedding. I don't know if she would have described herself as a Flapper, but those were the times and she was young and I guess would be considered a Flapper. This is a stock photo from Google, not my Grandmother, but this was the style at the time.
I now have a different definition of the word Flapper, another Google pic.

Every morning one of the first sounds I hear is the shaking of ten furry heads and flapping of 20 ears. It's part of the morning wake up routine. Another part is a strange sound that Fudge makes, part yodel, part gurgle. I can't make the sound myself, I've tried. He makes this noise only first thing in the morning and Noah also does it. Sky did too. None of the girls do it. I don't know why the boys do this or what it means, but I choose to believe they're saying "Good Morning". I'm still not fluent in Dog.

6 comments:

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

Happens here, every morning....flap, flap, flap.
SHE calls it our 'straightening out ears' flap.

Anonymous said...

We gots that flapper going here in the morning also.....just shows you....peeps, they gots a lot to learn about us!

The Mad Scots

Hailey and Zaphod and their Lady said...

That is some great flapping!

Ruby said...

BOL!! Oh, I do the flapper all day! Usually after I bark..when I bark, my ears tickle, and I have to shake my head and 'flap'! BOL
Kisses,
Ruby ♥

Ruby Rose and the Big Little Angels 3 said...

You have had a lot of flapper love in our life

SissySees said...

I love words too. We're having a Great Gatsby double-header in April though, so I was wondering where you were going with the title...

Bassets are AWESOME flappers. Maybe Sissy will be one for Halloween this year.