Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Electile Dysfunction

Is anybody else sick of this election season with still two months to go?

Today I need to rant about the never ending polls. Every day and sometimes several times a day, we're all treated to the newest, latest, most important ever polls, even if they're exactly the same as the ones that came before. Here in Missouri, we're apparently considered a swing state at the moment, so my phone rings at least once a day, and often two or three times a day, with someone doing a poll.

Usually the voice on the other end is automated and I'm asked to respond by touching my keypad, but occasionally there is a live person on the other end of the line. In the case of an automated call, I may or may not respond. When a person is attached to the phone, I often wait to hear what they'll ask.

I've learned that the questions asked can be framed to get whatever response the polling party is looking for. Usually by the third question I know where they're trying to lead me and I may or may not hang up at that point. I have learned from this that the poll results that are served up to us daily are anything but an accurate picture of the electorate.

Two days ago I answered my last poll of this season. It was so ridiculous that I wished I had a cradle phone so that I could have slammed it when I hung up. Here's how it went.

I answered on the second ring. The live person on the other end told me what group she represented, which I paid no attention to at the time. She asked if I had time to do a short poll and I agreed.

The first question was, " How likely are you to vote in the November election?"
The choices were:  1 very likely
                              2 somewhat likely
                              3 somewhat unlikey
                              4 very unlikely
                              5 not going to  vote
My response was "very likely"

The second question was, " How enthusiastic are you about voting for Donald Trump?"
The choices were:  1 extremely enthusiastic
                               2 very enthusiastic
                               3 haven't heard of Donald Trump

I waited for more options, but the woman said nothing else.
I replied " none of the above".
She then repeated the question and the three acceptable choices.
Again I waited, but there was silence.
I responded " I will not vote for Donald Trump"  
She then repeated the question and the three choices.
At that point I lost it completely and screamed into the phone that I loathe Donald Trump, I despise Donald Trump.
She then repeated the question and the three choices.
I hit the disconnect button and wished I had been able to slam the phone on her.

The minute I hung up, the phone rang again and when I stupidly answered, I heard that awful voice saying, "This is Donald Trump.." I couldn't disconnect fast enough.

I walked upstairs talking to myself and waving my arms around. The dogs got all excited and started barking. Rob asked what had happened and when I told him, he started to laugh. Once I calmed down, I laughed, too.

I am done with polls and campaign calls.  Obviously polls can't be relied on for any sort of accuracy. Just let's get this awful mess over with and vote and get on with our lives. Enough is enough.

9 comments:

Angels Amber and Max DaWeenie and Mom said...

BOL...LOL...BOL...MOL......Loved It! My feelings exactly!

Lapdog Creations said...

HA HA HA -- I simply do not pick up the phone anymore. They're relentless.

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

First of all, you're nicer than SHE is. SHE has a silent number....private number, so no one can get through. Then, just hangs up. They probably put you down as not having heard of Donald--highly unlikely unless you're blind and deaf.

Ruby Rose and the Big Little Angels 3 said...

I hate those calls. Being in Massachusetts we don't get too many calls but we get all the ads that run in New Hampshire and they make we want to scream. I don't pick up the phone unless it is someone I know.

Molly the Airedale said...

Mom is so thanking her stars that she doesn't get calls like that!

Ruby said...

BOL!!!!!! BOL!!!!!!! BOL!!!!! OMD, you sound JUST LIKE MA!!!!! I can't tell you how many times I sit and watch in amazement as she yells at some imaginary wackadoo in the TeeVees!!!
It is hilarious, and a little scary when she starts with the HBO words and the flailing of the arms! BOL!!!!
I just ignore it nows....☺
Luckily, she hits the mute button or just puts it on the animal channel!
Kisses,
Ruby ♥

The Ladies of Beaglebratz Manor said...

Mom Kim here - the only calls I have gotten regarding polling have been automated in which I don't waste my time - I figure if a real person can't take the time to do the poll then this real person ain;t got the time to answer it. I am not sure what I would do if it was live or a real person - I really can't stand either candidate - have no idea how I will vote.

My Dog Sam - Ruptured Disk said...

Ah Sue, if Donald wins. You and Rob and the kids can move up here to Canada. We'll put you guys up for awhile. Sound good?

Marjie said...

This reminds me of the calls I got during the South Carolina primaries, urging me to vote for Hillary. Thing is, (1) I've never even lived in South Carolina; (2) My landline is a Pennsylvania number (duh); and (3) I'm registered Independent. So why was a caller surprised when I asked how many times I can vote in South Carolina if I got there by that Tuesday?