Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Then And Now

Before the massive warehouse stores, before the early morning openings, before the crowds waiting for that special deal, Black Friday was known simply as the day after Thanksgiving.
Each year on the day after Thanksgiving my Mom and I met for a quick breakfast, then set off for a pleasant day of shopping. We'd have lunch at a quiet restaurant, do a little more shopping, then head home to admire our purchases. Later we'd make our shopping lists for the rest of the family. It was a day we both looked forward to.

Things change.

My Mom is gone. The advertising for the big day starts weeks ahead, each store trying to outdo the others. The doors open earlier each year and the crowds sometimes become mobs as they storm the doors in search of a hyped sale.
I don't venture out anymore on Black Friday, though thanks to the internet I can still do some shopping.

  Mom and I usually wound up buying things for ourselves and each other.  Priorities change. Now I tend to make less exciting purchases. One of our favorite places to check out on Black Friday is Chewy.com.  Last year we stocked up on biscuits.
This year  we took advantage of some twofer deals. We  found some food at buy one, get one free.
We also were pleased to find our favorite probiotic on a two for one deal.
Just as I thought we were done, I discovered that Fudge's favorite dipping sauce aka salmon oil was on a two for one sale.
I had eight very happy dogs when the big box was delivered. Just in case you're feeling sorry for me, I also found a rather nice sale on some yarn that I've been wanting, so I was pretty happy too.

5 comments:

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

That's a great way to get some good bargains on Black Friday without having to step outside the door. AND then to have it all delivered right TO the door. Mom is going to have to remember to check that out next Black Friday.

Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

So much more civil...online...and good deals.

Ruby said...

Ma got her shopping gene from her Gma ~ no deal is worth getting an elbow in the ribs! Plus, if you're gonna go out to those kerazy deals, you need an army to pull it off successfully! BOL!! Ma does most of her shopping online or in the Mom and Pop shops here in town. We have some really good independent pet stores that are mostly cheaper than the big guys!
Anyhu, I want some of that salmon stuffs!!!! I told Ma, nows that I officially have the Arthur-Itis, that she HAS TO gives me the fishy stuffs! BOL!! she said she'll buy a mask, and only gives me the real stinky stuffs on trash day ☺
she missed the Chewy two for one sales...typical...I thinks she was only buyin' for the peeps....sigh.
Kisses,
Ruby ♥

Molly the Airedale said...

Shopping online for Black Friday and that entire weekend is the only way to go. Actually, mom stays away from the stores for the entire month of December!

Marjie said...

I've never been a Black Friday girl. But the online sales are something I can really enjoy! Looks like you scored some great finds there!