Saturday, July 9, 2011

My Peace Dove

Two summers ago Rob and I were sitting at the table sipping our coffee on a Saturday morning when a beautiful white dove landed on the deck railing.
This lovely creature spent the summer with us eating on the deck and fluffing up to sleep on the window sill at night.
We enjoyed her company, but worried about what would happen when winter came. She solved that problem by flying away in the fall. We think she was part of a flock that is released for weddings and other events and she chose to rejoin her companions. We do miss seeing her around the yard.
Wednesday I knit this in her honor. I like the way it turned out. It has a very pretty ruffly edge to the tail and wings. If you feel inclined to make your own dove, the pattern can be found in the book 75 Birds, Butterflies and Little Beasts to Knit and Crochet by Lesley Stanfield. The book is available on Amazon.

19 comments:

♥I am Holly♥ said...

What a beautiful Dove!! I love doves but have yet to see a white one around here. The one you knitted is so pretty...I wish I could do that! Lots of love, Debbie & Holly

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

What a beautiful dove, and lovely way to remember her! I have to admit that I've wondered what happens to the doves released at weddings, I can only hope they are as lucky as this one was!

Of Pit Bulls and Patience said...

Wow! I never graduated past scarves with my knitting, so I'm very impressed! We were just hopping by, but we'll be back!

Jan said...

I always wonder what will happen to those lovely wedding birds and hope they will find their flock.

Vivian said...

Love that little dove! Hope everything is well with you and pups.

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Such a pretty dove - both the real one and the knitted one. You did a beautiful job.

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

Now you can always remember the summer of the dove.

XXXOOO Daisy, Kendra & Bella

The Daily Pip said...

She is beautiful and how nice that you found a way to remember her.

Your pal, Pip

Two French Bulldogs said...

very cool!!
Benny & Lily

Stella said...

How lovely she is! You will enjoy that on your Christmas tree or a plant.

We had a Ring Neck Turtle Dove one summer who stayed around for a while, just a beauty.

Cheers and hugs,

Jo and Stella

SissySees said...

Beautiful - both the photos and the knitted tribute. She looks like quite a complex knit...

rottrover said...

Wow, Sue. That's beautiful!

bichonpawz said...

What a beautiful Dove! Great job! Wish I could knit...

Molly the Airedale said...

How pretty the woolie dove is!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

gMarie said...

Oh my it's lovely! What a beautiful dove, not as beautiful as having the live one I'm sure, but ....

Marjie said...

It's very pretty. You could knit those as presents for little girls, too, and they would love them.

Beyond the Dog Dish said...

What a lovely story! Off to look at that book as this summer I am learning to crochet! I want to learn to make a crochet Cavalier! Your dove turned out beautiful - now she may always watch over you.

Lapdog Creations said...

LOVE it!!!!!! Beautiful!

Soggibottom said...

What a beautiful thought.
:-)xxx