Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Problem solved-maybe?

I've been sleep deprived for several months now. Besides getting up at 4:30 to feed everyone and let them out, Samba has been waking me several times a night to go outside. I assumed it was a result of the Prednisone.

At her last exam I mentioned to Dr B that Samba can't sleep thru the night. He suggested that I try some Melatonin, but it didn't help. She seemed to have no response to it at all. He also requested a urine sample. When she was first diagnosed with MMM, I was told that infection is our biggest concern. Now he suggested that she might have the start of a urinary tract infection and we should check.

Now, getting a urine sample from a dog isn't as easy as handing them a cup and telling them to go fill it. Dr B has started recommending an annual urine sample along with an annual blood test. He feels they're tools that may show problems in the early stages before symptoms start showing up.

I decided to get samples from the three oldest dogs. Tsar was easy. When he lifted his leg, I held the cup under the stream and we were done. The girls were another story. I thought about my plan overnight and this is how I did it, in case you need to try. I have an old Tupperware container that is flat, it was originally made to store hot dogs or cheese slices. I never use it. I put each girl on a short leash and held it in my right hand so that the dog was directly in front of me. As soon as she squatted, I stuck the container under her from the back, under the tail. When she finished she walked forward and I had my sample. Just pour it into a cup or baggie and we're off to the vet.

Now, if you're still with me, Samba's test showed some protein in her urine, but it wasn't too bad considering her prolonged steroid usage, so we decided to repeat it in six weeks. Last week we repeated the test and there was a little more protein in the urine. Now we knew that there might be an infection starting so we sent the sample to the lab. When the report came back it was positive for staph. The report also told which antibiotic would be best for knocking out the infection. We started her on it for ten days.


We are now on day six and I am happy to report that Samba has shown no bad effects from the antibiotic and she has slept thru the night for the past four nights. We are both feeling better in the morning for getting more sleep and I'm happy knowing that Samba is on the road to recovery.

14 comments:

Dianne said...

Good news for sweet Samba. I had a Chesapeake Bay Retriever years ago who needed a series of urine tests. I used a disposable aluminum tart pan to catch the sample. She would get really pissed (pun intended) when I got close enough to slip it under her, and stop peeing and give me a look over her shoulder that still sends chills up my spine when I think about it. If looks could kill... I still needed the sample, so I used duct tape and attached the tin to a broom handle. It allowed me to keep a "respectful" distance. Problem solved!

Jess @ Instyledog said...

Always good to hear recovery stories! Thankfully my BF & I have two boy pups so getting a urine sample (should we need to) should be fairly simple.

Crossed paws for continued improvement (and sleep!).

Soggibottom said...

I think that smile has said it all Ah, bless her :-) x x x

rottrover said...

Samba, we're glad you're feeling better!

-Gizmo, Bart and Ruby

Stella said...

I agree with Soggibottom that Samba's grin says it all. She is looking happy! You sound happier and I am wishing you both sound, restful sleeps!

Kisses,
Stella

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

All that work was worth it to get a good night's sleep!

XXXOOO Daisy, Kendra & Bella

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Ahh, the wonders of an alert Mom, a vet who listens, and good medicine.

Happy snoozing, Mom.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

Molly the Airedale said...

You have one smart mommy, Samba! We're glad you're feeling better!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

The Daily Pip said...

Hurray for Samba! I hope your mom can catch up on her sleep now!

Your pal, PIp

Two French Bulldogs said...

We like feel better stories
Benny & Lily

SissySees said...

Yay!!! I wish there was a pill for 2:30am lizard hunters...

Marjie said...

Hooray for a recovering dog and double hooray for getting more sleep! I am grateful that I've never had to get a urine sample from a dog. Getting them from babies was hard enough.

Dexter said...

I had to collect urine from my female mastiff. As she would only reliably pee with me close by on a walk, the big tupperware was right out as there was no way to carry it home and manage the 190 pound bitch with attitude as well. So I used one of those little cups like you get at the doctor's office. Oh my. Very tricky maneuver.

Hope everybody is feeling better and that you get some sleep.

Mango Momma

Rose said...

I always wondered how to get a dog urine sample! Thanks for the tip!! Glad Samba is doing better and you are getting more sleep!