Thursday, October 31, 2013

Second Childhood?

Halloween is one of those holidays that I've never enjoyed. Even as a young child I didn't like dressing in costumes or going door to door asking for treats. I did enjoy the chocolate eating part of it, but I learned that I didn't need a holiday to do that.
When we were first married, Rob liked to put on a mask and walk along with the neighbor's kids or sit on the front steps and hand out candy. Since we've lived here we don't get trick or treaters. We live at the end of a dead end street so only one or two come this far. Instead of listening to ten dogs bark all evening, we take them to the basement to watch TV and Rob and I eat whatever chocolate I've convinced myself to buy in case kids come to the door.
This year something strange has happened. Around the middle of September I felt a need to make something for Halloween. I don't know why, but my creative side needed to do this, so I started looking thru cross stitch patterns. I found these and they worked up nicely, but they weren't exactly what I wanted, so I kept looking.
I looked at dozens of patterns but couldn't settle on one. So I decided to make my own. I sat down with the graph paper but soon tired of that and decided to freehand a design. I like the way it turned out and I offer my thanks to Will Shakespeare for the sentiments.
So there, I did my Halloween thing and I was done, right? Wrong. Something was telling me that I needed to do more. I tend to listen to my creative urges because they just grow stronger and more insistent if I try to ignore them. I picked up my needles and did this.
He's made from a MochiMochi pattern and is quick to make. But still I needed to do more so I made Mr Punkman.
I guess my frenzy rubbed off on Rob because he came home from the gym with a pumpkin. He usually carves one each fall because the dogs love fresh pumpkin. They won't touch the canned stuff but can't get enough of the fresh pieces.

He became this.
I almost never dress the dogs up for Halloween, I asked them if they wanted to do something this year and was surprised at the response. Morgan wanted to be a princess, so why not?
Sebastian said he wanted to be a Boxer for Halloween. I wasn't sure what he meant, but he took care of his costume himself. Here he is, a Boxer.
Sydney and Mackenzie wish to be called Bossie and Moo today. Along with their stuffed toy, they make up a small herd of cows.
As you all know Porties can be little devils. Here's my proof. Fudge.
Norma Jean.
Bailey.
And the scariest devil of all, Noah.
And now that I've satisfied my Halloween urges I can hang up my hat,
kick off my shoes,

put my feet up,


enjoy a beverage, perhaps an eyeball highball,
and close my eyes.

My work is done.
Happy Halloween everyone.

9 comments:

rottrover said...

I love that little bat!! He is so cute!

booahboo said...

Happy Halloween to you Sue! The best costume is Sebastian's :D

Molly the Airedale said...

What a fabulous cross stitch, Miss Sue! We LOVE it!
Sebastian, you are too funny - a Boxer! haha

Love ya lots♥
Mitch and Molly

~ Kirra ~ said...

There will always been mystique of Halloween, and you have captured beautifully the happiness it can create in the minds of both young and those not so young including our much loved 4 legged friends.

Enjoy the evening.

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Your work is just beautiful - nothing wrong with having a second childhood, Mom just wishes her body could feel like a child again too.

We love Sebastian the "Boxer":)

Happy Halloween from Camp Spooky Kennel.

Woos - Phantom, Ciara, and Lightning

Two French Bulldogs said...

See! It's fun isn't it
Lily

Soggibottom said...

Beautifully funny post Sue, so much for not dressing up, they all look as if they enjoyed it. :-) Happy All Hallows x x x

Marjie said...

I love Sebastian the Boxer! The Devil Porties are adorable, too, of course, but the self-created Boxer wins the prize for creativity.

Your knitted decorations are great, as is your cross-stitch. Happy Howl-o-ween!

SissySees said...

Oh I love the bat! That ALMOST inspires me to knit one, but ... I'm not knitting.

Love the devils, the princess and the moos, but your cross stitch steals the show. Very impressive!