Friday, March 23, 2012

A Quick Hello

Hi everyone, we're still here.  It's been a rough week around here. It was worst for Jake. The poor little guy was probably sick when we brought him home in October. He used to fall off his perch a lot. I chalked it up to him being young and clumsy. We've had young clumsy birds before. Holly used to fall off her perch a lot at night. Imagine trying to sleep on one leg, balanced on a round stick with your head tucked under your wing (arm). We made a platform for Holly and she slept on that till she learned to balance.

A couple weeks ago Elwood, Jake's brother began picking on him. He screeched at him and would peck at him. That's when the red flag went up for me. Birds often attack a sick member of the flock. We separated them, but by then Jake was looking sick. He sat very quietly, all fluffed up and didn't seem very happy. As he got sicker he started squatting on the platform we gave him and we knew we were getting close to the end. I kept him warm and semi-dark and gave him some supplements, but I knew he wouldn't last long.

Elwood and Holly didn't see him die and so they're both doing well.

Tsar has had a so so week. His legs are getting worse and he struggles to stand up. I give him some help now, one hand on his collar to steady him and one hand on his belly to support him as he gets his uncooperative legs under him. Once he starts moving, he's wobbly, but he manages to get where he wants to go. His appetite is good and he's still very alert and seems content.

I've felt a lot of stress having both a sick bird and a sick dog to care for. Today I slept in with a bad headache while Rob fed the pack. I've been napping on and off all day and trying to get rested up for the next week. I have been visiting your blogs, though I haven't left many comments.

Thank you  for all the supportive messages you've sent regarding Tsar. On some of our worst days your words have given me hope and comfort. It's very hard watching your old dog die. You keep seeing him as that silly pup getting into trouble and you wonder how suddenly he's that old fellow lying at your feet panting.

Tomorrow I'll share some family photos with you.

14 comments:

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

I am so sorry this has been so hard for you. I remember watching many canaries go through that slow death as a child. Very hard to watch and tough when you know there is little you can do.

Poor Tsar. He is trying so hard. He has that stoic nature so typical of the sibe in him. I hope he has many more good days and I also hope your stress can be lessened somehow.

Hugs, Kathie

Patience-please said...

I'm sorry you are having such a rough time. The privilege of loving these dear, pure souls comes at such a cost. But treasure is priceless, yes?
We do know, and we do care about you and yours...
hugs

The Daily Pip said...

I am so sorry you have had a difficult week. Sending lots of support and good vibes across the miles ...

Your pal, Pip

Jo's World said...

I was going to write you today to see where you were, but thought you might not feel well.

So sorry to hear about our BFF Tsar. We went through some of this with our Scottie Otis and finally wound up putting him down. He was suffering in so many ways and was 17 years old. Bless the old guys, its not an easy trip.

Hugs to you, too.

Jo, Stella and Zkhat

rottrover said...

A week or so ago we added Tsar to Roo's POTP Badge-list thingy. It's on my blog. If you click on the first badge on the right hand side, it lists all the dogs and kittehs we have our paws crossed for.

Sorry about Jake, too. Sending strength...

-Bart and Ruby

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

You are having a sad, stressful time. Our thoughts are with you.

XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

Molly the Airedale said...

(((((hugs)))) to you, Sue.

Anonymous said...

A ruff week indeed. Sending you lots and lots of hugs and positive vibes!

The Roo Family

SissySees said...

Big hugs, Sue. Poor Jake; I hope Holly and Elwood know you're good birdie parents too. ;)

Sending good vibes for you and Tsar, and the rest of your pack. I'm sure as in-tune to you as they are, they aren't happy when Mama isn't happy!

Asta said...

I'm so vewy sowwy that little jake had to leave and that you had such a vewy stwessfull and sad week. Thank dog that Tsaw is still enjoying himself once he gets help standing..tweasoowe the time togethew..mommi says, it's nevew long enuff
smoochie kisses
ASTA

Lapdog Creations said...

So very sorry about all you have going on with your pack (2 legged and 4). You always know where to find me when you need to chat or a shoulder or anything at all... and I so appreciate all of the info you've been sharing with me as we struggle to figure out what's going on with Zeus.

Marjie said...

My daughter has a habit of adopting birds she feels are being picked upon. Thankfully, none of hers have been as short-lived as Jake. But you made his time in your house as happy as it could have been, and that's nice.

I'm so sorry to hear about Tsar. This is sounding like Thor's last couple of months, when he was slow to get up and so forth. I'm thinking of you and Tsar with love and hope.

Dexter said...

That does sound like a tiring week. Both Jake and Tsar are safe and loved. I know that you are making their journeys as comfortable as possible. Big Mango Momma hugs. Rest up. Glad you have a backup to take over dog duties when you need to take to your bed.

Mango Momma

gMarie said...

Oh Darlin' I'm so sorry I missed this post. Know that I'm holding you and Tsar and the rest of the pack in my heart and hoping you are feeling the love. Do what you can to make Tsar comfortable and remember to take care of you. g