Monday, March 12, 2012

Seasons

The calendar says it's still winter, but it looks and feels like spring. Today the temperature may hit 80, does that sound like winter? When we made a trip to the back yard this morning we found other evidence of spring. The forsythia is blooming.
The rose bush is budding.
The crab apple tree is starting to open it's buds.
The bleeding heart is pushing up in the rock garden.
This fern weed is green and lush. Pretty isn't it?
I'm reminded of a song  by The Byrds from the 1960s, Turn! Turn! Turn!


To everything - turn, turn, turn
There is a season - turn, turn, turn
And a time for every purpose under heaven


A time to be born, a time to die
A time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal
A time to laugh, a time to weep


The reason that song is stuck in my mind today is because of the events of the weekend. When Tsar visited Dr B on Friday, things looked pretty good, considering the severity of his condition. We agreed to cut his prednisone back starting Saturday. I gave him no pred on Saturday morning and Rob and I watched his condition deteriorate before our eyes. By Sunday morning we were back to where we started three weeks ago. He couldn't stand without help, stumbled when he walked and stared at the ground unresponsive to us.

I gave him 20mg of pred and 20 more in the evening. Again we watched the change happen before our eyes. By bedtime we were almost back to Friday's dog. Today he's still a little shaky when walking, but he's alert and responsive. A consultation with Dr B confirmed our fears. The rapid decline points to a brain tumor and as we've decided against invasive tests and surgery, we'll just keep Tsar as comfortable as possible until he tells us that it's time to let go.
Quality of life is important to me and this photo taken about 10 minutes ago shows that Tsar is not in pain and is still enjoying interaction with us and with the rest of his pack. All my dogs in the past have told me when it was time and I know Tsar will, too. Till then, every day is a good day.

15 comments:

SissySees said...

No wonder Tsar is on my mind. I'm glad he's comfortable again and enjoying the pack interaction. Sending good, supportive vibes your way.

Tracy said...

Ahhh, so glad to hear Tsar is up and at 'em and enjoying life with you all! Tremendous that he can enjoy this lovely spring day!

Mad about Craft said...

Sorry to hear Tsar is ill. Enjoy your days together!

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

We're with you. He'll let you know when he isn't enjoying life anymore. As with Kendra, we didn't see any point in invasive surgery which may have prolonged her life for a few months...and most of that recovering.

Hope the pred works for a long time.

XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & roxy

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

We have been wondering how things were going with the cutback. So sad to know that his days are numbered, but it must be reassuring to see that something can make him feel better for the now. Gentle hugs to you - we know you will always do what is best for Tsar.

Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning and Mom

Pei In The Life said...

That's Mom's favorite song. We're sending Pei vibes.

Bolo

Molly the Airedale said...

Mom is in tears. We know exactly how you're feeling, Miss Sue.
(((hugs)))

Love ya lots,
Mitch

The Daily Pip said...

Oh gosh, this is breaking my heart ...I know that feeling of watching them deteriorate so quickly. The same thing happened with our cat Tommy. We tried to cut back his medicine and within an hour or two he was falling down. Reading about Tsar is bringing it all back for me. The good news is Tommy lived two years with medication. They suspected he had multiple brain tumors, but we chose not to do any invasive procedures because he was 15 when he first started showing symptoms.

Sending lots of love to Tsar!

rottrover said...

Oh Sue...I'm so sorry to read this. To look at Tsar's picture, though, he sure looks like one happy boy. Love him each day. We'll be here with you.

-Bart, Ruby and Lisa

gMarie said...

Oh Darn it Sue! I'm so sorry. I was really hoping it was something the pred would 'cure.' Been holding you in my thoughts. Call if you need anything. g

Wyatt said...

That is a tough hand. Kisses to Tsar.

Enjoy your heat wave and take time to soak it all in.

Wyatt and Stanzie

Jo's World said...

You are managing this exactly the way Tsar would wish it, and thanks for that. He is such a unique character, he will be with us long after he decides its time to go.

Because I love all dogs, but especially those who are "characters", I feel like he is my dog too.

Enjoy the days with him.

Jo

Lapdog Creations said...

Love seeing those smiling Tsar photos! :) Zeus goes in for follow up blood work tomorrow...

Soggibottom said...

So sorry to hear this Sue. So sorry.
Tsar is a lucky guy to have such a loving and careing owner.
Every day does count X X X X X X
LOTS OF LOVE X

Belinha Fernandes said...

I came here to know about Tsar. It has been a while since my last visit but I did not forget that he was ill. It's sad but he looks happy in this photo.I'm sure you'll know what's best for him. My sister always says "mom knows" on everything about Davis. I wish you courage. Enjoy every day with Tsar, he's a beautiful dog.