Saturday, August 3, 2013

The Big C

Is there anyone who's life hasn't been touched by that scary word 'cancer'? I've experienced it in family, friends and co-workers. I've also experienced it with my dogs. I've lost at least three dogs to cancer.
Pylon was thirteen and had experienced many, many lumps. We don't know what the main source of her cancer was, but due to age and overall condition she couldn't undergo any more surgery and finally lost the battle.
Monty seemed to be very healthy until he started having a nagging cough that wouldn't go away. An xray showed that his lungs were full of cancer cells. His cancer probably started somewhere else and migrated to the lungs but by the time he showed any signs it was already too late. He only lived a few days after his diagnosis. He was only nine years old.
Tsar suddenly became wobbly when he walked. We believe his tumor was in the brain and once he showed symptoms, it progressed rapidly. He first showed us a problem in February and he died in April. He was ten years old.
I recently came across a blog that I found interesting and thought I'd share it with you. Some of you are currently facing cancer in your pets, some have in the past and some, unfortunately, will in the future. Why not arm yourself with information?

This blog, the dog cancer blog, is written by two veterinarians. Dr Dressler practices in Hawaii and veterinary oncologist Dr Ettinger is in Yonkers, New York.
I am a bit bothered by all the advertising on the blog. They are selling books and videos and various other things, but if you overlook all that, the articles are very informative. Currently Dr Ettinger is writing about lung cancer in dogs which is something that I'm very interested in after our experience with Monty. They also write about vaccinations and spaying and neutering which are all currently hot topics.

Knowledge doesn't hurt and I hope to learn something that could give me more time with my fur kids.

14 comments:

rottrover said...

Thanks, Sue. Every rottie we've had thus far has died of cancer. Gizmo was only 6.

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

Kendra and Carys both had 'masses' or tumors but nothing diagnosed. Died at 12.5 and 13.

The other night on television they were talking about a new injection that has helped dogs with liver cancer and they are hoping to try it on people....wouldn't it be fantastic.

XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Hi Sue! THANKS for the link, I'll have to go and read it. Most of our dogs have died from cancer--A few years ago the percentage of Goldens dying from cancer was 85%, and I have to think that it's gotten a bit higher since then. I'm thankful for the research that has been done on it, but there still so much more to do.

My Dog Sam - Ruptured Disk said...

My Sam has lumps. Our vet carefully documents them and we've had needle biopsies down just to be sure. But "C" scares the poop out of me because as you've written, it can appear pretty much anywhere. So how do you biopsy those places? You don't unless it's already too late.

bichonpawz said...

Thank you for sharing this with us Sue. Yes, we have all been touched by the awful disease.

Molly the Airedale said...

Our sweet pups never live long enough.
Thank you for telling us about this blog, Miss Sue. We'll be checking it out!

Love ya lots♥
Mitch and Molly

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Howdy Sue, our great dane Oscar died of osteosarcoma and he was only just 6 (5 1/2 when we found out). It was hideous. Thanks for the info. We hope never to experience it again but with every giant breed we get it's always in the back of my mind. No worries, and love, Carol (and Stella and Rory)

soulbrush said...

God my heart missed a beat when I saw the title of this post.I have lost so many people in my family from cancer, it's an awful disease and I wish they'd find a cure for it.

Life with Wrigs said...

When I read the title of this post, you had me worried for a minute, Sue.

Thanks for sharing the link. Many of my dogs have had cancer, and Wrigs had a cancerous lump removed about a year and a half ago (not expected to recur). It is so prevalent these days.

Susan and Wrigs

SissySees said...

Thanks for sharing. You know our friend Stirling is fighting the fight, and then there are all of our mutual doggy-bloggy pals...

(The ads probably pay for the website for them, maybe?)

Lapdog Creations said...

We will be very blunt in our comment here - Cancer SUCKS. :/

Piappies World said...

Thank you Sue for this post. The big C is indeed a nasty thing for both humans and animals alike. It's really helpful to be more informed about this and we constantly cross our paws that our loved ones and furry pals be spared from this disease.

Hugs to all of you from the Piappies

Love,
Piappies Fudgie, Princess, Frappie, Mocha, Sugar, Wai-Max, Wai-Pai & Forgie

Tammy said...

It is always the dreaded verdict when someone (dog, cat or person) gets sick and I think is always in the back of your mind. I've lost several cats and one dog to cancer.

Hope you guys are surviving all the rain and storms. I thought about you and the girls this morning, and was hoping that it wasn't causing them more intestinal problems. Ashley seems to be getting used to it, and just crams herself up in a corner somewhere.

Tammy

How Sam Sees It said...

We are losing our Sam to cancer - it is a scary journey. I find right now I can't read anything on it. I've bookmarked the blog for later though..

Sam