Friday, September 20, 2013

Memories

I want to reintroduce you to someone special. I say re-introduce you because I've posted about her before, but she continues to surprise me and impress me with her talent. Before I started blogging I started reading blogs to see what this blogging stuff was all about. I found some funny ones, some sad ones, some well written ones and some garbage. There was one I was so impressed with that I started following it. It was the first blog I ever followed and I still do almost six years later.
It's the Rachael Rabbit blog.

When I started following Rachael she was doing knitting and quilting and showed off lovely children's wall hangings and toys.
 Then she had three children of her own and though I can't imagine doing lots of crafting with three small children at home, her creativity picked up and is totally amazing. Look at some of the wonderful things she's done recently.

This is her daughter's birthday party. Wow!! I wish she was my mom. What a wonderful fantasy party for a little girl.
She is into color in a big way and does lots of dying of fabrics. I've learned a lot from reading her posts and I'm going to try my hand at dying some cross stitch fabric soon.
Here is one of my favorite projects. She and her girls found this stick. They stuck it in a vase and they decorate it for each season.  Here is the Valentine Tree.
Here is the Easter Tree.
And my personal favorite, the Spring Cherry Blossom Tree.
Look at those beautiful cherry blossoms.
The little girls help their Mom with most all the crafting and especially the painting. Little brother is still a bit young but he's getting ready to help.
Now Rachael has taken on another project. Where does she find the time? I have no children and can't seem to find time for all the projects in my head. Rachael is making Memory Quilts. She was sent a uniform from a fallen soldier and the family asked if she could make it into a quilt.
She took on the project with all the loving care that it deserved and look what she turned out.
This is the finished quilt that she returned to the family. What a wonderful piece full of special memories for them.
Of course when you create something so special, more memories are waiting. In this case it was a Fire Marshall killed on 9/11. The family sent his tee shirts to her and requested a quilt for his granddaughters. 
She presented the finished quilt to the family a couple weeks ago on September 11.
Rachael has been so moved by these quilting experiences that she's forming 'Quilting A Memory' which will provide free quilting services to service men and women who have lost their lives in service to their country.

I'm sure you can understand why I'm so fond of this talented young woman and wish her the very best with her new and important project. Please visit her blog, it will put a smile on your face.

14 comments:

rottrover said...

What talent, and what a heart! Thank you for sharing this. As I could not craft my way out of a brown paper bag, I am in awe of people who are so creative!

Life with Wrigs said...

Beautiful work! The memory quilts are just amazing and will be so meaningful to the families left behind. Her Quilting A Memory project is a wonderful idea.

Susan and Wrigs

Unknown said...

Your the best Sue. You are so kind to me xx

Lapdog Creations said...

Wow... I wish she was my Mom too! lol

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

Extremely talented!

XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

Jo's World said...

When I read about the fallen soldier's quilt, I thought that I would not even know where to begin. But your friend made one of the most beautiful quilts I have seen. I am gonna go visit her today. Thanks for writing about her.

Cheers and hugs,

Jo

ChampersandsTail said...

Wow! Thanks so much for sharing this! She sounds like an amazing person, and her work is just beautiful. Heading over right now to see her blog. :)


--Champ's Mom

My Dog Sam - Ruptured Disk said...

Interesting. Neat ideas.

Molly the Airedale said...

Rachael is amazing and so very talented!

Love ya lots♥
Mitch and Molly

SissySees said...

Thank you for sharing her with us. What a beautiful, special gift from a talented, compassionate woman.

Those quilts remind me of our Bearables project through the local Hospice. I need to practice my sewing so I can actually contribute.

Ruby said...

Holy cows! That is just amazin'!
Do you thinks she wants to adopt me??!! BOL
What she is doin' for families of the fallen is just beyond phenomenal. Not only are they just amazin' works of art, butts they are memories that will be handed down for generations to come. Pawsome.
Thanks for givin' her props...
Kisses,
Ruby ♥

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Oh that was amazing. We're always awed by the talent people have. We'll have to pop over and say howdy. No worries, and love, Stella and Rory

My Dog Sam - Ruptured Disk said...

Beautiful work. Thank you for highlighting this.

challenge coins said...

I wish she was my Mom too! lol