Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Fudge's Progress

Last week we told you about Fudge's visit to the dentist and how we have to work harder to keep his smile pretty. We're working on it. Saturday morning I didn't brush my teeth when I first got up. I fed the dogs and got them settled, then I called Fudge into the bathroom with me. I showed him my toothbrush and let him sniff it. Then I brushed my teeth while he watched.


Next I showed him his little toothbrush and I gave him a treat. Then I put toothpaste on his brush. He laid down on the floor and I sat on a little stool and we brushed his teeth. We made it fast, then he got another treat.

The next day we repeated the whole procedure.

On Monday morning he ran in and sat next  to me while I brushed my teeth. Then we did his. Today I brushed mine first thing. After breakfast Fudge and I went to the bathroom to brush his. He was very good and we took a lot more time and did a really good job. Then he got his treat and ran downstairs to show Rob his pretty teeth.
He thinks this is a special together time when he gets  lots of attention and a couple treats. I don't think he's crazy about the actual brushing, but he so enjoys the rest that he's being very good. Now I need to start this whole process with Sky.

13 comments:

The Life of Riley said...

Well done finding a way for Fudge to have his teeth brushed.

I know I should be doing this with Riley. Your post and a post by Honey the Great Dane (on how her owner got Honey used to a cheap electric tooth brush) have motivated me to try.

Lapdog Creations said...

Thank you for the reminder that I am supposed to start brushing Tut's teeth. I think we might try your method too!

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

Well done, Fudge. We don't have our teeth brushed, but lately she's been looking pretty hard at my (Daisy's) teeth because there are brown spots.

Maybe if there's treats involved, I might tolerate it, too.

XXXoOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

Border Collie Mom said...

(First... I enjoy reading your blog)
Next, here is a hint you might want to try, because it has made tooth brushing SO much easier and more effective for my dogs. We use a Braun Oral B. The brush heads are very small and you can hold the dogs muzzle and work it around in there easily. It takes a little while to get them used to the electric toothbrush noise and motion, but it is very worth it. I use the same handle that I use for me (different brush, but even so, don't tell my husband). Or you can buy them their own inexpensive one for under $20 at Walmart.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

HELLO!! GOOD FOR YOU!! After having spent the morning at the dentist with my foster boy who is going to lose all of his teeth, I think you and Fudge deserve an extra 'plus' or at the very least a cookie!! :-)

Marjie said...

One dog at a time, as they say. Good boy, Fudge. Show Sky how it's done.

Molly the Airedale said...

Good job, Fudge! You're getting treats and a sparkling smile!

Love ya lots,
Mitch

SissySees said...

You are such an inspirational dog-ma. We're going to start practicing your routine with Sissy and Gretchen on Saturday!

♥ Mary Janes TEAROOM said...

Well done Fudge and to you too Sue for making the whole thing such a fun part of his day!
Susan x

km said...

Yeah Fudge! My kids have been begging to buy the toothbrush and paste from our Vet's office. I'm glad the Vet recommend waiting until she looses her puppy teeth and starts biting a bit less. No need to start bad habits with her bitting the toothbrush when Holly will loose these teeth in a few months.

parlance said...

Thanks for posting how you're going about this. I asked my vet just yesterday if Penny's teeth are clean and he said they are, and so I said I was glad I didn't have to brush them. And then he told me the time to start brushing is when the teeth are still good. So I's having a good think about how to go about it.

Jed and Abby in MerryLand said...

Yay, Fudge! Eventually, you'll have the whole PWD pack trained to line up outside the bathroom and take their turns.

Jed & Abby

Dianne said...

Way to go Fudgie!!! What a good boy and such a dazzling smile!