Friday, January 27, 2012

My New Year's Resolution

Today we had a visit to All Creatures, our animal clinic. Fudge had the stitches out of his head and his side. Both areas had healed well and his hair grows so fast that we had trouble finding the stitches.
Dr B has a couple of specialties. One is geriatric medicine, which comes in very handy with my aging pack, especially Morgan. The other is dentistry. His interest in dentistry is a mixed blessing for me. I'm often made to feel uncomfortable when shown a nasty tooth that needs more care. You see, I'm not very good about brushing my dogs' teeth. Every now and then I go on a binge and brush them all for a couple days till I get tired of wrestling with them, then I just let them go.
When Fudge had his surgery last week, he also had a dental cleaning. He has some problem areas and today I was handed a chart, instructions and a demonstration of how to apply fluoride to the chipped and broken teeth.


Fudge broke most of his front teeth in a collision with a table and though the pulp isn't exposed, they could be a bit sensitive. The weekly fluoride treatment will help protect him from pain.
So, my only New Year's resolution is to be better about taking care of doggie teeth. Fudge's little toothbrush and his vanilla almond toothpaste now reside in the bathroom with my brush and paste. When I brush my teeth each morning, Fudge will get his brushed, too.
We're determined that his next check up will be a good one. He'll keep his pretty smile and I won't feel guilty.

9 comments:

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Mom says she is also guilty of not brushing our teeth very regularly. She wishes we would behave better with bones because then she would get us some big bones - they do a great job on our teeth.

We laughed about how fast Fudge's hair grows back - too funny.

Woos- Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

rottrover said...

Well, you're not alone on the tooth front. Ruby just had a cleaning -- all's great, but I could be better...

Jo's World said...

I am going to have so much fun thinking of you and Fudge, side by side, brushing your toofies every morning! Can you get Rob to do a video of this, please?

Stella relies on raw bones and a rawhide she likes.

Cheers and hugs,
Jo, Stella and Zkhat

Jed and Abby in MerryLand said...

Poor Fudge. Poor you. Hope he likes his toothpaste flavor. Have you watched Honey's video of having her teeth brushed with her very own electric toothbrush? Of course, with Fudge's tender teeth, you might not want to go that route. Glad his wounds are all healed.

Jed & Abby

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Good luck with the teeth brushing. We are pretty slack too and wish I was more motivated. We fall back on our old girl Kara. Always ate dry food with the occasional scraps and her teeth stayed great her whole life (nearly 13). Never gave them sweet treats though so that may have helped. No worries, and love, Carol (and Stella and Rory)

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

We just eat bones. We don't have our teeth brushed.

XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

Molly the Airedale said...

Mom gave up a long time ago trying to brush our toofies for the same reason. Vanilla Almond sounds like a yummy flavor, Fudge!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Marjie said...

I'm always happy to hear that the whole pack is well, and pleased for you that you have a great vet.

And I've never brushed a dog's teeth. I'm a bad dog mom, I know, but there it is.

Soggibottom said...

I'm sure there are dogs out there that love having their teeth cleaned with a toothbrush. Personally, I don't know one !
Amie went backwards and forwards to the dentist The reason why she hardly had any teeth. Freya has chew sticks to help clean her teeth, but she would prefer to have a toy bone and do it herself. Dogs and teeth Is there ever an answer to cleaning them ?
Hope you feel better soon Fudge
lots of luvs Freya Rose Blossom and her mum :-) X X X