Friday, January 13, 2012

This Little Piggy

After finding a pig in the front yard last weekend, I got to thinking about pigs. I've never owned a pig, but I remember visiting my best friend in elementary school and meeting two rather special pigs.
It seems that my friend's father had brought home two tiny piglets intending to raise them, then have them butchered for meat for the family. My friend's mother fell in love with the little piggies and treated them as pets. They followed her all around the yard and when she went in the house, they settled down on the porch to wait for her. She bathed them weekly and sang to them as she did her yard work. As you can guess, they lived out their lives and never became bacon.

We all grew up with stories and rhymes about pigs. There were the three pigs.
And when we were very little our Mom's probably did the little piggy thing with our toes.
Speaking of the little piggy toe rhyme, I love the Geico ad starring Maxwell, the pig that went "wee wee wee all the way home".
Now I am not a fan of television advertising. Why is it that men are so hypnotised by commercials? When I'm trying to talk to Rob during a commercial, I can see that he's concentrating more on the television than on me. That's when I hit the off button on the remote to get his attention. Anyway, I love Maxwell. He's quite annoying, but he makes me smile.
Another annoying famous pig is Miss Piggy. Now I like the fact that she's a strong female character and I like her tough talk, but I wish she'd leave my Kermit alone. I'm a frog collector and feel very protective of the little green fellow.
Lately I've started playing Angry Birds and the villainous pigs in that game can make me talk back to the game.

The smirks on their faces and the nasty little noise they make when you miss them is what keeps me going back for one more try.
Finally, have you see the 'teacup piggies'? Apparently these started out as toys for children, but became toys for adult collectors.
Look at these adorable little outfits on these tiny pigs. I know I'd have loved these when I was a kid. No Barbie dolls for me. I was strictly an animal lover. Some things never change.
Who would have thought that pigs would play such a prominent part in my life? Are you a fan of Maxwell?

16 comments:

gMarie said...

I'm not a big fan of Maxwell just because he's so darn annoying, but I do like biggies. And I love playing Angry Birds. I bought Lucy an AB piggy and she 'killed' it right away! g

Marjie said...

Cass, my second daughter, loves pigs, and always has. She made me buy a chef pig spoon rest when she was 6, and promise that she can have it when she gets her own kitchen. She may have forgotten, but I haven't. And there's a running joke here that my dearly beloved is not allowed to watch commercials, lest he start hollering, "Marjie, get The Google! Order one of those!" It's not quite that bad, but I recently got a green coated skillet because he watched an infomercial, as well as Dragon Natural Speak (which I'm still learning to deal with).

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

We like pigs. Last time we went to the vets the next patient after us was a pig. It was very cute.

XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

Sam said...

Don't forget Babe - the pig who learned to herd sheep!

SissySees said...

I adore Maxwell, and those teacup piggies are too much!! This is rather odd, as my mother was (briefly enough) married to a pig farmer when I was in high school...

Molly the Airedale said...

Our mom loves Maxwell! She has always been a huge piggie fan!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

The Daily Pip said...

I like pigs! And guess what, I hear they are smart as dogs! Could it be?

Your pal, Pip

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

You are lucky you can get your hands on the remote to mute it. Our Dad hates commercials and switches to another show during them. Then Mom gets mad because he forgets to go back to the show SHE was watching:(

Have a great weekend.

Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

Two French Bulldogs said...

mom loves piggys thats why she has us. We love piggy on the zip line, BOL
Benny & Lily

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Hi Everybuddy, we don't know Maxwell at all. We do love pigs though cause our human sissy collected them when she was a little peep. In our main shopping mall in Adelaide there are four life sized bronze pigs there. They are really popular and kids sit on them and have their photo taken. If you 'google' the Four Little Pigs of Rundle Mall, you can see heaps good photos of them. No worries, and love, Stella and Rory

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I'm not a pig fan, but have to admit to loving Maxwell, and my favorite statues are ones where pigs have wings and the saying 'it's said it will happen when pigs fly.' :-)

I hope you're doing well, and enjoying your weekend!!

Soggibottom said...

When Jake came to stay last Summer, I had to make ANGRY BIRDS. ?
He had to find a pic of them first :-) We went from there, but hum... not a fan.. ALTHOUGH I HAVE MADE TWO :-)
I like piggies, I would never let my friends go either, so I would be the same, keep them forever. :-)
As for Miss Piggie... tart !
:-) x x x

Jed and Abby in MerryLand said...

We've never seen any real pigs, just the TV kind. Mama loves pigs; they are actually smarter than most dog breeds. Mama spent her very early years on an OK ranch that had pigs as well as cattle & horses [and chickens and all that other stuff]; the pigs were her favorites. Mama always wanted a pet house pig - and an elephant. Doesn't look like she's ever going to get either one except by donating to rescues/sanctuaries. NO Angry Birds; any game that vilifies pigs is EVIL!

Jed & Abby

Tracy said...

Sue, what a great great blog....the first actual blog read about pigs. I love that Geico commercial because the pig is so cute!
Great post...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the joy you bring with the creative use of your blog. Love Robert.

Lapdog Creations said...

I'm a little bit obsessed with those Geico commercials... weeeeee!