Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Not A Good Day

Anyone who has small children or pets knows that there is one sound that will wake you out of a sound sleep and bring you to wide eyed full alert faster than anything else. The sound of that child or animal vomiting.

This morning a little before 5 (that's 5 AM, folks) I was startled out of a dream to full awareness by that sound accompanied by another horrible sound and a stench filling the bedroom. I jumped up, grabbed the jeans and tee shirt I keep by the bed for just such occasions, grabbed Noah and raced down three flights of stairs and out the back door in my bare feet.

Rob, at the same time jumped up and ran for the paper towels and Resolve. Noah had vomiting and projectile diarrhea. The poor little guy was so upset about the whole situation. While he was outside, I fed the other dogs and put them out. Then I brought everyone in, settled Noah in his crate with a couple Imodium in him and went to help Rob.

Noah managed to hit just about every dog bed in the room and lots of the carpet. Rob had started a load of wash of dog blankets and was shampooing the carpet when I got back to the room. While he gave the carpet a second shampoo, I made coffee and moved the laundry process along. I checked on Noah to find that he had vomited in his crate, so I took him back out and cleaned the crate.

We knew we had to get him to the vet ASAP, so we had some coffee and waited for the vet to open. Another check of Noah found more bodily fluids in the crate. Again I stuck him in the yard and Rob and I carried the huge crate into the driveway to hose it down.

By now the clinic was open so we drove him over and left him. Dr B had a couple of appointments to see, so we went down the street for breakfast, then went back to the clinic. Dr B examined Noah and didn't find very much. He had no fever, he had blood work and stool exam done recently and they had both been good. There was no sign of pain, though his intestinal tract was rumbling and I expected an explosion while he was on the table. He managed to hold it and we brought him home with anti-vomit meds, antibiotics, meds for the intestine, probiotics and special dog food for the next several days.

I was told not to feed him at all today and he has been complaining about that since four this afternoon. He's confined to his crate for a few days for obvious reasons.

I was so tired after all this that I took two naps today and have accomplished almost nothing except laundry and caring for Noah and the other dogs. Sorry, but I don't think you really want pictures from this experience. Tomorrow will be a better day for both Noah and me.


She Seeketh Wool and Flax said...

Oh, I hope Noah is feeling better soon. It's so hard when they are sick, the poor things can't tell us where it hurts and why.
Hugs and kisses to Noah

gaylen said...

Oh honey - I hate my new email. I hope that Noah is okay and you both feel better tomorrow. g

Anita said...

I'm sorry to hear the bad news, I really hope Noah feels better tomorrow, that hurts so much!
Lots of kisses for Noah
Rufus and Indie

momsue84 said...

I am so sorry to hear about Noah. Milo and I hope he and you are doing so much better today. I know that sound, and I know that feeling. Nothing scares me more when it comes to children and pets, except the sound of coughing. Here's a big hug to you both and the whole crew!

GoldenTracks said...

Oh, Sue! So sorry Noah is so sick. It is so hard when they are sick because they can't tell us anything about how they feel or why they might be sick. Hope this passes quickly.I sympathize with you. The clean up is the pits. ...'ain't REsolve wonderful?!
Noah, Sunny says feel better (as she lays here licking my feet)

Channon said...

I'm hoping today is indeed a better day. Poor Noah, you and cheers to Rob for being so helpful. (The Knight doesn't do bodily fluids AT ALL. Sigh.)

LizzieJane said...

Poor Noah, I hope the little guy is feeling better. There is nothing worse than having one of your little ones get sick. Sending a big hug his way.

Nichole said...

Hoping it was just a 24 hour "bug" and hoping Noah is a-okay... keep us posted! HUGS.

Anonymous said...

Sue - Best wishes for Noah's speedy recovery! After two children, two grandchildren and three dogs (two Porties), I know those sounds and smells only too well. Isn't it great to have a vet you can trust and see quickly in case of emergency? My vets are my heroes! - Daisy

Life With Dogs said...

The worst alarm clock I know! Sola woke us the same way a few days ago and launched a bile soaked grass wad at the bed.


Hope Noah is on the mend!

Dianne said...

Awww, poor Noah. I hope he's feeling much better today. Give him a scratch behind the ears from me.

P.S. Thanks for not sharing photos...LOL!

Anonymous said...

Anxious for another post with some good news...hopefully you are not too busy tending to unmentionables.

soulbrush said...

aaaaw pure little noah. wishing him well and soon and you more rest tonight.

dreameyce said...

OH NO! How yucky! Poor baby! Glad he's feeling better!