Saturday, May 23, 2009

Vroom Vroom

Every year toward the end of May, a little color comes to Springfield. The Hot Rods come to town for their big get together. I'm not a car person, I think of them as a way to get from here to there and not much more, but even I have to smile at the bright colored old timers and the fancy paint jobs.


It feels a little like a movie set as we drive down the street and see bright red, yellow and blue cars from by gone days pull up beside us at a light, or meet them in a parking lot of a restaurant.



There are old time trucks, too







Flames seem to be a very popular theme.











Some have their own little matching trailers to make up for the lack of trunk space.


Some look like they forgot to finish them.






There are also some that are a little more subtle.




A lot of these cars look mighty uncomfortable to ride around in. Here's my favorite.

Look at those headlights.


It has this cute little trunk on the back.


OK, so I'm a material girl. If I have to ride around in an uncomfortable old car, make mine a Rolls Royce.

12 comments:

Sam said...

It is amazing the amount of time and effort people put into restoring old cars. My dad loves it, and has an old Cadillac convertible, but doesn't get to do as much with it as he would like.

One of those cars with the flames looks strikingly similar to a car parked up the street from me. I can't remember the last time it's been moved from the spot.

Rufus and Indie said...

Amazing cars! So cool!

Molly the Airedale said...

Mom would LOVE to have an antique car but dad is into Indian Motorcycles! Next lifetime maybe!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Unknown said...

I love the way they look. I always enjoy walking around looking at them. I love the Rolls. g

Thor and Jack said...

Thanks for sharing those cars. Very cool! Dad and mom loves antique cars.

xoxo,
Thor

soulbrush said...

okay here is a secret love of mine...antique cars...these are just breathtakingly lovely, i am sooo gld you took these photos. wow!!! wish i was there too.

Criquette said...

Such pretty cars! The orange ones remind me of a custom-painted Toyota truck I had in my younger and wilder days!

dreameyce said...

YUMMY! I love all our local old car shows :)

SissySees said...

Neato! I like the "convertible" candy apple red one near the end of the post...

Marjie said...

Don't you love those fiery paint jobs? And I'll take the Rolls, too. I would love to test drive the new one with the V-12 engine, but they have not sent me one to review...I wonder why? And we drive a 1979 Lincoln Mark V. Talk about comfort! For the 6'3" hubby, there's no chance he'll ever leave the house if he has to ride in an econo-box!

Tobi said...

Great pics! I am not necessarily a car person either but I sure can appreciate them from an artistic perspective. My husband would love that show - he likes cars a lot and we have a 66 Mustang. Wow! Amazing colors!

Tobi

Mad about Craft said...

Now my car has died prehaps I ought to have a car like one of these