Saturday, March 23, 2019

The Snake That Saved My Sanity

I can hear you thinking " Huh, I think she's lost her sanity", but bear with me and I know you'll understand.

Mackey has a few faults. She's a thief and she's destructive. If I don't stay nearby reminding her to be nice, she'll rip a stuffy apart in seconds. If she's left alone and can't find a toy, she'll rip up a dog bed or a pillow.
 Her worst fault by far is her barking. She barks at everything, real and imagined. Being a small dog, she has a high pitched, extremely annoying bark, the kind that makes you feel your head is about to explode.
 It's annoying when Mac runs to the door barking several times a day. When I look outside, the whole street is quiet, no one in sight. It's annoying when Mac barks if another dog leaves or enters the room.

 But without a doubt, it's not only annoying, but painful when Mac barks going down the stairs to the garage to go outside or to eat. Being in the confined area of the stairs makes her loud, high pitched, staccato barking so aggravating that the other dogs hang back.
I have tried everything I can think of to control the staircase barking. I have scolded, sprayed her with water, leashed her and made loud scary noises. Nothing works.

One day as we headed for the stairs and the noise began I just stopped and looked at her. She looked up at me, then turned and ran to her toybox. She grabbed a toy and came back to the stairs.

The toy she had was this snake. It has three large squeakers and she happily ran down the stairs squeaking as she went. Now you may think that constant squeaking is annoying, but this sounded like a symphony compared to the barking.
For obvious reasons I call the snake Muffler. Now I keep Muffler hanging over the stair rail so I can grab him and toss him to Mac as we go downstairs.

You may wonder why we put up with such an annoying little dog, but Mac is actually very sweet and funny. She's not a touchy feely dog. Even as a little puppy she didn't want to be held and still doesn't ask for petting and cuddling like her sister. But every night at bedtime she gets up on the bed, rolls over and begs for a belly rub. The only time she gets on my lap is when she's frightened by thunder or something she doesn't understand. She also follows me wherever I go around the house. And it's kind of cute that she nose whistles in her sleep.
Oh by the way, we have two Mufflers, because, well  it's Mackey.

7 comments:

Marjie said...

I think you would be wise to invest in more Muffler clones. ;-)

Ruby said...

Mackey, I hears you gurl! (hehehehee...pun intended) As I gets older, I seem to bark more. Ma says it's cause my hearing and eyesight are probably deteriorating, so I bark at anything I hear or see. I say, I am keepin' her safe from all the evils in the worlds....tree rats, shrunken peeps on scooters, bikes, skateboards, strollers, burdies, kittehs, butterflies, flies, ants.....wells, you gets the picture. Butts, the worse is that this has been happening at night when Ma wants to relax, and maybe watch a movie or somethings. She doesn't seem to appreciate the security alerts. whatevers. When was the last time she was attacked by a butterfly??? your welcome.
Anyhu, Ma understands the squeaky being easier on the ears than the high pitched bark ~ I can do that too! hehehe
Ma says, stock up on snakes...now!
Kisses,
Ruby ♥

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

You may have to get in a supply of mufflers. Glad something works. Can just imagine a loud, high pitched bark!

Molly the Airedale said...

Thank doG for your snake, Mackey, and you look so cute sleeping in your basket!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I love that you've found something fun to distract from the not so fun! And I've a feeling that Mackey is too!!

PS: THANKS for the suggestion a few weeks ago of using Moringa - I read up on it, and think it's something worth trying. I see our holistic vet on Thursday and will ask about incorporating it into Joy's and Charlie's diet. Thank-you!

Ruby Rose and the Big Little Angels 3 said...

She sounds a lot like Pocket

My Dog Sam - Ruptured Disk said...

Ah Sue, best that you go back to the store and buy out all their "snakes"...