Wednesday, July 1, 2020

The Night Visitors

HI. Happy July, Canada Day and beginning of the week most hated by dogs. On Saturday Rob went to the grocery store and one of his purchases was a bag of bird seed. We like to feed the birds around now because they bring their chicks and entertain us with their noisy antics. Rob grabbed a bag of seed and didn't notice that it was all sunflower seed. The bigger birds and the squirrels love it but he had to go back for a bag of smaller seed for the little guys. The feeder is busy all day.
Sunday night a little after dark I was walking by the window and something caught my attention. I peeked thru the blinds and saw a raccoon sitting in the feeder stuffing herself with sunflower seeds. I turned on the porch light and she ran into the hedge.

About ten minutes later I looked and she was there again. Rob stepped onto the porch and again she ran for the hedge. Still later I looked thru the blinds again and she sat in the feeder and stared at me. I could read her look. She was saying, do we have to keep doing this? I'm tired and I just want to eat my dinner and go home. I turned off the light and left her in peace to finish the seeds.

On Monday night there was some seed in the feeder and I wondered if the raccoon would  come by again. I left the porch light on and the blinds open and had my camera handy. I got more than I bargained for.
 When I checked the window we had company, but it wasn't the stressed raccoon from the previous night. She had brought her three babies and left them in the feeder while she waited in the hedge. They were adorable, all stuffing their mouths with seeds and pushing each other around.

 I quietly walked onto the porch and the babies, each about eight inches long all climbed down from the feeder and started running toward me till Mama gave a squeal and they changed direction and ran into the hedge with her.
After getting a few pics, I left them alone to eat. I understood why she looked so tired the night before.

Last night I checked the window again and this time there was a very large raccoon there, I'm guessing it was Daddy. He didn't want any pictures and ran instantly but I noticed that one baby was with him.
The sunflower seeds are disappearing fast but we're enjoying our night visitors, especially the little ones.

4 comments:

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

We guess there was a reason Rob got that big bag of sunflower seed:) That must have been a fun sight to see the babies.

Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

Yes, that says MISTY - if you haven't been by, check out our posts from last week.

Ruby Rose and the Big Little Angels 3 said...

It sounds like you have new members of the family

easyweimaraner said...

we never saw them for real... but we wish they would live here too ;O)

Molly the Airedale said...

How exciting to get to see an entire racoon family and so close! Love your racoon stuffies.