Sunday, February 8, 2009

A Little Shower

Yesterday I broke a longstanding rule and attended a baby shower. The last shower I showed up at was in 1971, a bridal shower that I couldn't avoid because I was one of the bridesmaids. I don't enjoy showers. I've talked to a number of other women who feel as I do. Maybe it's genetic, my 87 year old aunt tells me she always disliked showers, or maybe I'm just anti-social.

I chose to attend this shower because of the group of women involved. Our vet office staff were giving the party for one of their members. The front office people and vet techs were there. It was at Dr. Nicki's house. With all my pets, I spend more time with these people than with my own family. I'm generally in the office weekly, if not for medical advice, then to pick up supplies.


The baby, expected at the end of March is a little girl who will be named Kennedy. All the decorations were, of course, pink.


We felt the need to humiliate the Mom-To- Be as much as possible by making her wear this tiara and pendant, as if anyone had a question as to who the shower was for.


There were games, such as how many diaper pins are in the jar? The answer-60. Identify the items in the pillow case by feel and whose traits will the baby have, Mom's or Dad's? The most popular game involved several diapers that each held a spoonful of baby food. By sight and smell one had to identify the type of food.


There were prizes for the various games.


What's a party without food? There were chips and dips and veggies and, of course, cake.


The best part were the baby gifts. Who can resist those tiny clothes and cute little accessories?


Here is the Mom-To-Be. This is her first baby and she seemed delighted with all the tiny little gifts. I must admit the clothes for newborn baby girls are pretty adorable.


In the spirit of the day, I took a gift, wrapped all in pink.


Inside was a sweater, bonnet, bootees and blanket that I knit all in green. A spy had told me in advance that pink and green were the colors she wanted.


I also included this little guy. I guess I'm safe now for another 30 years.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh how sweet! I really love the layette. I saved the only handknit one I received for both of my girls. Hopefully one day I'll have grandchildren to pass them onto.

I really like the soft toy. It will be perfect for a baby! g

SissySees said...

Well, if you're going to attend a shower, that looks like a great one!

LizzieJane said...

What wonderful things you made Sue, I love the sweet green color.

I am the same as you about showers, I just never know what gift to make or take.
x

Dianne said...

I'm the same way - will avoid any shower that I can. It looks like that was a fun one, though! The set you made is absolutely adorable!

dreameyce said...

I don't like showers of any type either, and generally emply MIL who LOVES shopping to find gifts when I need to give them ;) heh

Maybe if it's genetic, we're related? *giggle* (My grandparents *were* from NY! haha)