Thursday, November 10, 2022

Possum Party

 We're still putting kibble and other treats out each night for the wild critters that come by.  I turn on the porch light so they know that we're open for business. Then I wait near the kitchen window. I don't usually have to wait long. The opossums tend to come first, sometimes singularly and sometimes together. Occasionally a raccoon, usually Gabby, will join them. After they eat their fill, they leave and the raccoons come to clean up whatever is left over.

Remember this little baby opossum? This photo was taken on September 26, about six weeks ago.

They don't stay little for long. Last night I mixed some mashed sweet potato with the kibble and my critters thought it was pretty tasty. About ten minutes after setting out their meal I had my first customer.
Then about two minutes later she had company.
I was getting ready to walk away when the third member of the group showed up. 
They are big round opossums now, not little skinny babies. I really enjoy watching them, especially when they chase the raccoons. Gaby is the only raccoon that isn't afraid of them. I'm hoping they stick around thru the winter but opossums are nomadic so they could move on at any time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be nice to opossums,they eat a ton of tics, their body temperature is to low to support rabies. They are fun to watch as they clean up their feet after dinner. They are Americas only marsupials per haps they have relatives in New Zeland and Australia.

Molly the Airedale said...

The baby possums are so cute!