Friday, November 11, 2022

The Start Of Winter

Forget what the calendar says, today was the start of winter. How do I know? Because this morning as I was standing by the window drinking my first cup of coffee a flock of about thirty birds flew into the back yard. The Robins have arrived.


When I lived in New York State we always observed the beginning of spring as the day we saw the first Robin. Well, when I moved to Missouri I learned where the Robins winter. They come to Missouri and today was the day. They were hopping around the yard looking under fallen leaves for worms or bugs and they were flying in groups from the yard to the roof and back again. I don't know why they do that but they spend a lot of time doing it. 
Today a pair of noisy Blue Jays also came to the feeder and discovered the kibble that we had put out for the Woodpeckers.  The Jays, Woodpeckers, Cardinals and Titmice all eat kibble. There were so many today that I had to refill the feeder three times.


 
I also had to refill the platter with seeds for the Chickadees, Doves, Finches, Sparrows and Cardinals.


It was a very busy bird day and my inside birds, Summer and Winter were fascinated watching all the activity.



2 comments:

Molly the Airedale said...

We haven't really had cold weather in CT yet but it's coming next week. We're happy to see that so many beautiful birds made it to Missouri for the winter!

Ruby Rose and the Big Little Angels 3 said...

I love the hearty winter birds. We make sure they are well-fed.