Monday, November 10, 2014

How Did It Get To Be Mid-November?

Last week when the time changed I started to feel like hibernating. It hit me earlier and harder than usual. When the sky got dark around five, I brought everyone in and settled them for the evening. I sometimes gave in to the urge to snuggle under a blanket with Fudge while we watched TV.  It felt like winter was right around the corner but at the same time it seemed like we must still be in late summer or early fall. I was wearing shorts and a sweatshirt, one of my very favorite outfits and surely it was too soon to be thinking seriously about the approaching holidays.


Today it struck me that it's the middle of November and I need to get going. I want to get my holiday packages sent out early and start baking cookies and all those things I associate with the season. What woke me up? Last week Rob and I found a great deal on turkeys. We bought a 25 pounder and yesterday we cooked it. Rob was a sweetheart and cleaned the meat off and bagged it. We had turkey sandwiches last night and we'll have a nice turkey dinner for Thanksgiving but best of all we have lots and lots of little baggies of turkey pieces for the fur kids. We'll probably get another big turkey this week and keep it frozen for a while. Then we'll have plenty of turkey for everyone to enjoy all winter.
 This morning when I took the dogs out, the sky was dramatic. When we first opened the door, it looked like this.
It continued to lighten as we watched.
Finally, as we went back inside, it was streaky. The old saying " red sky in the morning, sailors take warning" applies today. The wind is very strong and gusty. I traded my shorts for jeans.
So far all we're dealing with is wind. The temps are still in the sixties and the sun is bright, but a lot of places are feeling winter weather today.
I recently stitched these for those of you who  need to bundle up when you take the dog out today.
Stay safe everybody and to those of you down under who are experiencing a heat wave, you can enjoy our snow pics that are sure to be coming soon.

9 comments:

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

SHE was in the US....Pennsylvania at this time last year and it snowed on the 12th....just sayin'.

Would be good if we could trade a bit of cold for hot and have a happy medium!

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

It's hard to believe it's mid-November. It seems like it was just Christmas last week!!

xoxo
Piper, Celti, Argyle and Ivy

Marjie said...

It was freezing last Friday for Mark's last football game...and it's sunny and 55 today. I know there's more cold coming, but I'll take the pretty days whenever I can. And my schedule is all fouled up with the earlier sunset. I just can't wrap my mind around the correct time of day.

I'll be ordering my turkeys for delivery on the 21st. Let the holiday circus begin!

Molly the Airedale said...

Lucky you to get turkey before Thanksgiving day! We love turkey!

Love ya lots♥
Mitch and Molly

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photos, makes one want to sit on the porch with a cup of coffee, with the guys at our feet.
Ah maybe you could send down some real coats, we just got our furs stolen and now we gonna get some Arctic blast of lows in the 20's, highs in the thirties.....now thats cold for us....oh and they are saying maybe some ice!

The Mad Freezing Scots

My Dog Sam - Ruptured Disk said...

Hi Sue, it's been raining quite a bit lately. Today was our first clear day in a week but now it's turned cold. The high today was less than 50 degrees and tonight it'll drop down to below 40 degrees. It's cold enough that I wear a jacket and wool socks for my rear feet. Your turkey made us all hungry. Looks good though.

Two French Bulldogs said...

That sky is fantastic. Time sure is flying
Snorts,
Lily & Edward

Lapdog Creations said...

Oh gosh........ and order Christmas cards, and finish Christmas gifts..... Oy! Those sky shots are absolutely gorgeous!!!

SissySees said...

This might be the year I just don't get photo cards done. I like to take them to the beach with me to address them, and I'm out of time. I need to find a nice charity and order...

GAH. Thanks for the reality check, and the beautiful photos. I'm still in my dark cave, when I'm not running and/or with the dogs.