Sunday, November 2, 2014

Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed?

At bedtime each night the Portie girls sleep in crates in the den. Norma Jean and Bailey each have their own crate and Tess and Lola share an extra large one. Tess is afraid to sleep alone so she has someone to keep her company.

The rest sleep in the bedroom with us. Morgan sleeps in the bathroom. Fudge sleeps on the floor beside my side of the bed. Sebastian stretches out across the doorway. Noah has a body pillow on the floor at the foot of the bed and Sydney sleeps in a big chair.  Mackey sleeps in a crate and she hates it.

Everyone else is happy about their sleeping arrangement but even though Mac walks right into her crate each night, as soon as we close and latch the door, she throws a tantrum. She barks and cries and yips and stomps around till one of us tells her to be quiet and go to sleep. Then she lets out a huge, mournful sigh and lies down.
A few nights ago I was busy in the kitchen and when I went upstairs to bed, Rob was in bed and beside him on the bed was Mac. She looked at me and before I could say anything, Rob suggested we try her out of the crate. I agreed but stipulated that if she caused a problem, he was the one that would get up with her and put her in the crate.
Mackey slept curled in a tight ball behind Rob's knees all night. She didn't make a sound. OK. So the next night there she was again, on the bed. This time it didn't go quite so well. At one point around 2AM I woke up clinging to the edge of the mattress. I felt pressure on my mid back. When I looked, there was Mac sound asleep, in the middle of the bed, crossways and with her feet in the air. I had to laugh but Rob and I were both pretty tired in the morning while Mac was refreshed and ready to go.
Last night, night 3, we had a little lesson on where to sleep. She paid attention and slept at the foot of the bed and all three of us got a pretty good night's sleep. I guess Mac has a new sleep spot, at least for now.

12 comments:

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

We have two dogs on the big bed...Roxy who thinks it's hers and sleeps in the middle. And Bella who finds a spot on the end.

Dui, like Sebastian sleeps across the door. A problem because SHE has interrupted sleep and he is like a brick wall.

Molly the Airedale said...

Good for you, Mackie! You're one lucky girl! Our beds are on the floor in the peeps bedroom and that's where we sleep - never on the bed!

Love ya lots♥
Mitch and Molly

Marjie said...

So, Mac is pretty sure Rob is her person? It's great that she's settled down and starting to act like a big girl.

Hailey and Zaphod and their Lady said...

Hailey does a good job at sleeping at bottom of bed until it gets cold, then all bets are off!

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

The OP Pack does not know what it is to sleep on a human bed. Mom does all in her power to be sure we never even see the human bedrooms - they are all on the upper floor:( After reading this post, we think we are going to lodge a protest.

Woos - Phantom, Ciara, and Lightning

SissySees said...

I love that last photo. We have a king sized bed. The Knight gets half to himself, and the dogs and I share the other half. The JRTs have always slept pressed against me, and Fred slept either at my feet or on his bed, on the floor at the Knight's side of the bed. But Sissy? Of course the DIVA is something else. Sometimes she sleeps at my feet, sometimes "in my arms" (that sounds better than in my face?), and if the Knight doesn't come to bed with us, she's SURE to take his pillow, and then moves to my feet when he comes to bed.

Two French Bulldogs said...

We don't blame you. When we hear that latch or the gate go up, it's trouble
Snorts,
Lily & Edward

Jo's World said...

Stella sleeps on a blanket under the desk in my room. She goes there often during the day for a little snooze.Zkhat sleeps on my bed snuggled up and Stella loves to give her a rude wake-up call when it works!

Cheers,

Jo and Stella

Jo's World said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matilda the Boxer said...

I'm glad Mac gets to join you in bed. There's NOTHING like sleeping with your momma for getting a refreshing night's sleep!

Lapdog Creations said...

Awww, Mac just wants to be close to her hoo-mans!

kathy b said...

Hooray for Mac at the food of the bed!!!